Montanaro European Smaller Companies Trust
The trust aims to achieve capital growth by investing in small European quoted companies. It seeks to achieve capital growth in excess of its benchmark, the MSCI Europe SmallCap (ex-UK) Index.
Why invest in European SmallCap?
We believe that every investment portfolio should have some exposure to SmallCap, primarily owing to:
- The ‘SmallCap Effect’ – the proven long-term outperformance of smaller companies versus their LargeCap peers*
- A wealth of choice, with more than 2,000 quoted SmallCap companies in Europe
- A lack of research, making for an inefficient market ripe with opportunity for those who invest in thorough analysis
- Portfolio diversification - helping to lower portfolio risk
*Source: see research from Dimson & Marsh
How we invest
Our investment process has remained unchanged for many years:
- We invest exclusively in “Quality Growth” companies
- We generate new ideas ourselves (no brokers)
- We do thorough research ourselves, which includes detailed analysis and company site visits
- We integrate ESG fully into company analysis
- We take a conservative approach to valuation
We are disciplined about what we buy and when we sell
How to invest
Find out more about how to invest in MESCT
Richard Curling was appointed in 2015. He has over 30 years' experience as a fund manager and is currently an investment director at Jupiter Fund Management Plc with extensive experience of investment trusts.
Caroline is a Chartered Accountant and was previously a partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers. She has over 30 years’ business, finance and audit experience across a number of industries and sectors bringing extensive experience to the Board.
Caroline also holds a number of other board positions including as a Non-Executive director of the Edinburgh Worldwide Investment Trust plc.
Gordon Neilly is currently a non-executive director of Personal Assets Trust plc. Mr Neilly was until the end of August 2020, Chief of Staff at Standard Life Aberdeen, prior to which he was Global Head of Strategy at Aberdeen Standard Investments and was responsible for developing the group's strategy and overseeing its implementation as well as overseeing all corporate activity for the Group and its closed end fund business. Gordon joined Aberdeen in 2016 from Cantor Fitzgerald where he held the position of Joint CEO.