Montanaro UK Smaller Companies Investment Trust
The Trust aims to achieve capital growth by investing in small companies listed on the London Stock Exchange or its Alternative Investment Market (AIM). It seeks relative outperformance of its benchmark, the Numis Smaller Companies Index.
Why UK Smaller Companies?
We believe that every investment portfolio should have some exposure to SmallCap, primarily owing to:
- The ‘SmallCap Effect’ – the proven long-term outperformance of smaller companies versus their LargeCap peers*
- A wealth of choice, with hundreds of quoted SmallCap companies operating in the UK
- A lack of research, making for an inefficient market ripe with opportunity for those who invest in thorough analysis
- Portfolio diversification – helping to lower portfolio risk
*Source: see research from Dimson & Marsh
How we invest
Our investment process has remained unchanged for many years:
- We invest exclusively in “Quality Growth” companies
- We generate new ideas ourselves (no brokers)
- We do thorough research ourselves, which includes detailed analysis and company site visits
- We integrate ESG fully into company analysis
- We take a conservative approach to valuation
How to invest
Find out more about how to invest in MUSCIT.
Arthur Copple was appointed a Director on 1 March 2017. He has specialised in the investment company sector for over 30 years.
He was a partner at Kitcat & Aitken, an executive director of Smith New Court PLC and a managing director of Merrill Lynch.
He is also chairman of Temple Bar Investment Trust plc and Vice-Chair of the University of Brighton Academies Trust.
James Robinson was appointed a Director on 30 September 2013. He was chief investment officer (investment trusts) and director of hedge funds at Henderson Global Investors prior to his retirement in 2005.
A chartered accountant, he has 34 years’ investment experience and is a director of JP Morgan Elect plc. He is also chairman of Polar Capital Global Healthcare Growth and Income Trust plc and a former chairman of the investment committee of the British Heart Foundation.
Catriona Hoare was appointed a Director on 19 November 2019. She has specialised in the investment sector for 13 years, beginning her career at Newton Investment Management where she managed a number of portfolios and private family unit trusts.
She became an investment partner at Veritas in 2013 where she is responsible for managing client portfolios and researching companies for potential investment. Catriona is a CFA® Charterholder, a Member of the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment and was named one of PAM’s Top 40 Under 40 during 2017.